Meet Our Physicians
Peter E. Jensen, M.D.
Dr. Peter Jensen grew up in Caldwell, Idaho. He graduated with honors from Oregon State University and magna cum laude from the University of Oregon Medical School. As an honor by his peers in medical school, he received the Gold Head Cane Award for excellence as a student physician. Dr. Jensen served his internship at Harbor General Hospital in Torrance, CA. His ophthalmology residency was the University Of Washington School Of Medicine in Seattle, after which he achieved his certification by the American Board of Ophthalmology.
In 1976, Dr. Jensen joined Jensen Eye Associates; a complete eye care facility in Nampa, Idaho. Dr. Jensen offers comprehensive eye examinations, contact lens fittings, and treatment for glaucoma, retinal problems, diabetic eye problems, dry eye and eye plastic surgery. His goal is to provide the highest quality and most technologically advanced eye care possible. He has performed thousands of eye surgeries in over thirty-eight years.
Dr. Jensen began performing refractive surgery in 1988 and was among the first surgeons in Idaho to offer radial keratotomy (RK) and astigmatic keratotomy (AK) for nearsightedness and astigmatism correction. Dr. Jensen began offering laser vision correction in 1995 when photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) was first approved by the FDA for treatment of nearsightedness.
Dr. Jensen has served three terms as President of the Idaho Society of Ophthalmology. He has also been President of the Southwest Idaho Medical Society and President of the medical staff at both Mercy Medical Center and Mercy Ambucare Center in Nampa. He is also a medical staff member at West Valley Medical Center in Caldwell and Idaho State School and Hospital in Nampa. He is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
- Undergraduate: Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon
- Medical: University of Oregon Medical School, Portland, Oregon
- Internship: Harbor General Hospital, Torrance, California
- Ophthalmology Residency: University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Phi Eta Sigma
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Diplomate, American Board of Ophthalmology
- Idaho Society of Ophthalmology (Past President)
- Fellow, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Idaho Medical Association
- Idaho State School and Hospital
Johanna M. Jensen, M.D.
Dr. Johanna Jensen was raised in Nampa, Idaho. She double majored in English and Psychology at Stanford University and earned an MD degree from the University of Nevada in Reno. After her internship at Deaconess Hospital in Spokane, Washington she completed her ophthalmology residency at the University of Washington in Seattle.
Dr. Johanna joined Jensen Eye Associates in 2004, and is a staff member of both St. Alphonsus Medical Center in Nampa, and West Valley Medical Center in Caldwell. She specializes in small-incision cataract surgery, plastic (cosmetic eye surgery, and BOTOX). She performs small–incision cataract surgery, eyelid surgery, CK, and medical/surgical treatment for chronic diseases such as glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy. Dr. Johanna also provides comprehensive eye examinations and contact lens fitting. She is committed to provide the highest quality of care to her patients, using the latest surgical and diagnostic techniques.
In her spare time, Dr. Johanna enjoys running with her Labrador, Ernestine, and running after her two children: Andrea and Roger.
- Undergraduate: Stanford University, Palo Alto, California
- Medical: University of Nevada Medical School, Reno, Nevada
- Internship: Deaconess Hospital, Spokane, Washington
- Ophthalmology residency: University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington
- Idaho Society of Ophthalmology (Current President)
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Idaho Medical Association
- Southwest Idaho Medical Society - Past President
- Women in Ophthalmology
- Mercy Medical Center (now St. Alphonsus Medical Center - Nampa)
- West Valley Medical Center
Justin D. Sparhawk, OD
Dr. Sparhawk joined Jensen Eye Associates in the fall of 2010. He graduated from the New England College of Optometry in 2001. He practiced in Duluth, Minnesota for five years before returning to Boise where he had attended BSU. While at Optometry school, he worked at the Joselin Diabetes Center and did research on eye movements with his professor. Dr. Sparhawk enjoys educating patients about all the aspects of their eye exam. He is especially good with curious children. When not in the office, he is a very competitive bicycle racer, and enjoys spending time with his wife of twenty years and their two teenagers.
John E Lamers, O.D.
Sociable, fun loving and eager to learn, Dr. John Lamers loves getting to know his patients and prides himself on putting others at ease.
Dr. Lamers joined the staff at Jensen Eye Associates in January 2019. He is a primary care optometrist that provides comprehensive diabetic eye examinations, contact lens fittings, treatment and management of ocular diseases as well as children’s and low vision examinations.
Born and raised in Spokane Washington, Dr Lamers developed an affinity for the outdoors. He enjoys hunting, fishing and camping with his wife Lori and their blended family of five children.
- Undergraduate: Carroll college, Helena, Montana
- Graduate: The New England College of Optometry, Boston, Massachusetts